What I remember most about girl scout camp were the opening and closing ceremonies. We sat on benches around a crackling fire, each holding a candle. At the opening ceremony we were buzzing with nervousness and excitement, wondering about the week to come and whether we would make friends. The spirited counselors sang to us and performed silly skits. By the end of the week we were flush with joy, tears welling up at the thought of leaving.
It felt so life-affirming. Every one of us was enchanted. It was so simple and powerful, using song and fire to honor our transitions.
I still feel like a camper sitting by the fire. It’s the same feeling of joy. There’s a sense of village life: living in cooperation, recognizing when people come and go, telling stories about who we are and who we’re going to be, letting nature be our teacher. There’s a unity in ceremony: a connection, a way forward, a feeling. I’ll be a lifelong apprentice to the teachings of ceremony.
I bring strength, beauty, and balance to the work that I do, so that people can feel completely supported through their experiences. The sacred thread pulling me through each day is to walk in service to all that nurtures and regenerates life.
I live close to the riverbanks of the Mississippi in St. Paul, Minnesota, with my dear husband, two children, and our dog Luna. My favorite times involve nature, storytelling and shared experiences with other people–whether through travel, sports, singing, ritual or ceremony. I love to play the guitar; I prefer hugs to handshakes; I make frequent trips to the river; and I love swimming in nearby lakes.
Certifications and Experiences
- Life-Cycle Celebrant, Funerals and Memorials, Celebrant Foundation and Institute
- Loving, Dying, and Letting Go, teacher training with Amy Wright Glenn
- Death Doula, Doula Givers
- Spiritual Direction, Sojourners Institute
- Funeral Celebrant, The Celebrant Institute
- Healing and Transitions Celebrant, The Celebrant Institute
- Home Funeral Guide, Final Passages
- Reiki Master
- Yoga Teacher (200 hours) and Yoga Calm Instructor
- Wilderness-based canoeing and backpacking guide, Camp Widjiwagan
- Board Member, National Home Funeral Alliance
- Leadership Circle, Minnesota Threshold Network
- Volunteer, National End-of-Life Doula Association (NEDA)
- Volunteer, Green Burial Council
- Volunteer, Crescent Cove Pediatric Hospice
- Volunteer, Our Lady of Peace Hospice
- Co-founder and Steering Committee Member, Minnesota Death Collaborative
- Being with the Dying with Frank Osteseki and Joan Halifax, Upaya Zen Center
- Midwifing Death, Aslan Institute
- Befriending Death: Meeting Impermanence with Courage, Love and Equanimity with Kyoko Katayama
- Advanced Health Care Directives, Honoring Choices Minnesota
- Pastoral Care Training, Community of Hope International
- Hospice Training, HealthEast and Our Lady of Peace